What is Exercise?
July 10, 2015
Hi Passion Fit Crew! I hope you all are having a wonderful summer. For my blog post today, I wanted to provide a list of 20 statements about what I think exercise is and isn’t in an effort to provide perspective, motivation and encouragement for all of you. I hope you enjoy this list and feel free to add to it, change it or make your own list. The most important thing is that you have the right mindset so you can make or continue to make exercise a lifelong priority. Okay, here goes…enjoy!
1. Exercise isn’t just a choice, it’s a necessity like sleeping, eating, showering or brushing your teeth.
2. Exercise isn’t about how you look, it’s about how you feel…and if you look good too…added bonus. 🙂
3. Exercise isn’t just for recreation, it’s also for helping maintain or improve your health and wellbeing and can help prevent or fight diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.
4. Exercise should be hard work, but it shouldn’t be torturous.
5. Exercise is about each individual, but can also be about a larger community or team, which can make it even more fun and rewarding.
6. Exercise can include cardio, strength and flexibility training either all in one workout or in separate workouts…the most important thing is to do all three each week.
7. Exercise isn’t just about the body, it’s about the mind-body connection and can be just as much of a spiritual experience as it is physical.
8. Exercise may be a chore for some, but it’s a serious passion for others.
9. Exercise may not always feel good in the short term, but it will almost always make you feel good in the long term.
10. Exercise is most effective when it’s part of an overall healthy lifestyle, rather than a periodic activity.
11. Exercise coupled with good music can be euphoric….especially if the form of exercise is dancing.
12. Exercise is tangible because it can be measured in calories burned, time spent, steps taken, weight lost, miles run, reps performed, heart rate elevated, etc.
13. Exercise can be done anytime, anywhere.
14. Exercise can be customized for different ability levels to make it attainable in the present but also aspirational for the future.
15. Exercise in some form is something you can do throughout your life.
16. Exercise continuously provides new opportunities for growth and development.
17. Exercise can help clear your head, relieve you of stress, give you confidence, provide you with more energy and make you feel happy.
18. Exercise is universal.
19. Exercise is timeless.
20. Exercise is a gift.
That’s it for today! I hope this list inspires you and you’ll look at it often…especially on those days when you don’t feel like exercising. 😉 Have a great weekend and I’ll be back with another blog post soon! XOXO